Skip to content

American Insurance NW Inc. Blog

All You Ever Wanted to Know About Insurance

ATV Insurance & Idaho Law

ATVs and other off-highway vehicles (OHVs) are fast and fun to ride! But summer fun, too often, turns to tragedy when an ATV overturns leading to injury or death of riders or guests. Plus, if your ATV exhaust causes a grass fire you will be liable for fire-fighting costs and damage to property. For your financial protection you should always insure your off-highway vehicles for liability.

Off-highway Vehicle Insurance –Liability and physical damage nsurance for OHVs is easy and very affordable. With just one call, get quotes from Progressive, Dairyland, Safeco, Nationwide, Travelers and other specialized companies. We find you the best rates and coverage to protect the value of your investment and your liability needs. We insure FUN at AMERICAN INSURANCE.

Off-highway Vehicle Licensing & Registration - All-terrain Vehicles (ATVs), Motorbikes, Utility type vehicles (UTVs), and Specialty Off-highway vehicles (SOHVs) are defined and regulated under Idaho Law (IC67-7122) as Off-highway Vehicles (OHVs). Any OHVs being operated or transported on public lands, roads or trails in Idaho must be insured and display a current IDPR OHV Registration Sticker plus the following:

  • Trails - riders under age 18 must wear a helmet and the OHV must have a muffler and Forest Service approved spark arrestor.
  • State & Federal Roads - above items plus a valid driver's license and liability insurance.
  • CIty & County Roads - all the above items plus a valid restricted vehicle license plate.
Non-Idaho Residents - are required to have either a valid OHV registration from their home state of residence or get a valid IDPR OHV registration sticker. Non-residents must purchase an Idaho restricted vehicle license plate with a valid IDPR OHV registration sticker if they don't have a plate and wish to operate on Idaho's local jurisdiction roads (ie. county roads).

For more information about where you can ride, required licensing and registration, safety equipment, age restrictions, rules and requirements call the Idaho Parks and Recreation registration department at 800-247-6332 or visit


There are no comments yet.