This is “our” history – yours and ours! Since 1922 American Insurance has become an inseparable part of the communities it serves. Our history is also the history of the business and civic leaders who helped shape and build our local communities.
Watch this page for updates as we tell our story all throughout the year of 2022 to highlight our century mark in the LC valley!
Watch short videos, read expanded stories, take the History Mysteries Quizzes and win prizes, read our Special Edition Historic Newsletters below.
Come celebrate with us!
We're celebrating in August.
- 1-6 Thursday, Aug. 25 -- 100 years Moscow open house celebration Please join us at our celebrations!
Here are the remarks from our 100 year celebration Business After Hours event held Aug. 18.
Click on the headline above to read the article about Shawn's contributions and growth of the agency.
Click on the headline above to read the article about Philip's addition and his growth into the agency.
AUDIO - Listen to the Growers :60 radio story about Shawn and Philip here.
Exclusive video: 100 year blooper reel
Advantage Advertising shared with us this blooper reel. John Sullivan (center) shared it with the agency to remind us that not everything always goes according to our plans!
Click the headline above to read how John B. Sullivan, the youngest son of Frank Sullivan, left a position in commercial radio sales and management to join the family insurance business on July 15, 1977.
- Fireworks, Food Drives & Community Service
- John B. Sullivan - The Early Years
- John B. Sullivan - Early Years: Gail Keller Scott stories about ‘Johnny’
- Independence Day Aerial Valley Fireworks Show – A family event on July 4 each year.
- See more in our newsletter online here.
AUDIO - Listen to the Builder :60 radio story here.
VIDEO - Watch the Builder :30 video story here.
HISTORY MYSTERIES QUIZZES
Win a prize! Quiz answers are found in on our historic calendar, videos, expanded stories and historic newsletters.
Click the headline above to read how Sully, an Iowa farm boy, became a successful insurance agent, well-known civic leader and second-generation Sullivan to own American Insurance. Also, read other related stories about Sully below:
- Community & Civic Volunteer -- Sully was a civic leader and active community volunteer for decades to make our valley a great place to live, work and have fun.
- GLADYS HUFFMAN - Sully was embarrassed! -- Gladys tells the story from 1963 about Sully that captures a rare moment of rest between his very busy community service and business life.
- Last Letters To Sully -- As a tribute to his memory we solicited “Last Letters to Sully” from those who had received many of his letters with news clippings and jokes over the years. Here are Gladys' letter and many others online here.
- THE RAT & THE WIND - Sully was one from "The Greatest Generation" that served in WWII. Read his B-17 crash and POW story here.
- SULLY'S WORST BIRTHDAY - Sully also served in the Korean War. This letter from Korea describes the events around his worst birthday ever!
- Read our Spring newsletter: American Insurance - 100 years Special Issue #2 Spring 2022
AUDIO - Listen to the Planter :60 radio story here.
VIDEO - View the Planter :30 story below.
Click the headline to read how American Insurance was founded in 1922 as the Mackey-Thiessen Investment Co. The name changed to American Insurance and Loan Co. in 1926. How the business came into the Sullivan family is the story of our agency “Pioneers”, Harry and Blanche (Sullivan) Christy. Also, read other related stories below:
- SIDE-BY-SIDE: American Insurance & American Bank - Learn why the interconnected relationship between American Insurance and American Bank made sense and was so enduring.
AUDIO - Listen to the Pioneers :60 radio story here.
Click the headline to read the founding story of American Insurance, which would not be complete without first understanding the life and times of O.M. Mackey, an Illinois banker looking for new opportunities for business growth leading up to the "Roaring 20s". That entrepreneurial vision would lead to the founding of three major businesses in Lewiston that employed hundreds and built up the community.
AUDIO - Listen to the Founder :60 radio story here.
VIDEO - View the Founder :30 video story below.
SPECIAL EDITION HISTORIC NEWSLETTERS
- American Insurance - 100 Year Special Issue #3 Summer 2022
- American Insurance - 100 years Special Issue #2 Spring 2022
- American Insurance - 100 Years: Special Issue #1 December 2021
Four Sullivan generations have had the privilege to touch the lives of thousands of our neighbors - as customers and employees, as claimants who receive needed insurance benefits, or as civic support and leadership to make our community strong. We’re excited to tell our story and yours as well of our 4 generations of Sullivan family ownership.
Wish to reach out to tell us your agency connection? Contact Marketing Manager Stephanie Herbert at community [at] am-ins [dot] com or (208) 413-6242 to share your story.